Professor Alex Kreit will stand out on the newly appointed Team Kentucky Medical Cannabis Advisory Committee for both his legal expertise in the field and as the sole representative in the Northern Kentucky area.
• Gov. Andy Beshear appointed Professor Kreit, who is director of the Chase Center on Addiction Law and Policy, to the 17-member committee June 14 to advise him on possible executive action to give Kentucky residents legal access to medical cannabis in treatment of such possible conditions as chronic pain, side effects of cancer treatments, epilepsy and others.
• Professor Kreit writes extensively, speaks regularly and is interviewed frequently on legal issues involved in controlled substances.
• He wrote the law school casebook “Illegal Drug and Marijuana Law,” co-authored the casebook “Marijuana Law and Policy” and co-authored the reference book “Drug Abuse and the Law Sourcebook.” His law review articles have appeared in journals across the country.
• At Chase, he teaches courses in health law, illegal drug law, criminal law, criminal procedure and evidence.
• What he says about his appointment: “I’m honored to have been appointed to this committee. I look forward to serving on it and advising the governor on his efforts to provide access to medical cannabis for Kentuckians.”
• Advisory committee members have two-year appointments, and will hold public hearings throughout Kentucky.